Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » New forum
New forum [message #244568] Wed, 13 June 2007 06:35 Go to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There are many questions about SQL*Plus, SQL Developer, PL/SQL Developer and no forum for them. So they are stored in "SQL & PL/SQL Newbies" which is not accurate.

Could it be possible to create a new forum for these tools and other similar ones like TOAD, DB Artisan...?

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #244636 is a reply to message #244568] Wed, 13 June 2007 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
No problem - we just need to discuss the following to establish the best way forward:

1. what forums are required;

2. under what categories should they be added.

3. are there sufficient volume to justify the new forums; and

4. can the topics be accommodated in existing forums, or can we just change some forum names and/or descriptions.
Re: New forum [message #244679 is a reply to message #244636] Wed, 13 June 2007 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
For instance, SQL*PLus questions since 1 June, TOAD ones since 1 May. I surely missed some.

Spool file with date
spooling to a file that includes the date and time
How to avoid prompt for subsitution variable
spooling a file with filename and current timestamp
insert & in table
SQL Plus 8.0
date display in report
Default set setting....
set command
SQLPLUS not accessible?
oracle report
How to Debug Procedure in TAOD
Toad problem
Can't see tables from toad
Output Window For TOAD
toads Script Runner

Maybe just add these tools in Server Utilities?

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #244718 is a reply to message #244636] Wed, 13 June 2007 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Frank Naude wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 01:10

3. are there sufficient volume to justify the new forums;

What's the benchmark? Collaboration Suite has 76 posts...

I would have no problem with a new major group: SQL Client Tools with perhaps the following major groups:
- SQL*Plus / iSQL*Plus
- SQL Developer
- TOAD / SQL Navigator
- Other GUI clients (SQL Scratchpad [OEM], blah, blah)

If we're talking about new forums, any further thoughts on this old request? http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/70987/78693/ It would be nice to have a Perl DBI / ODBC / JDBC forum under Developer & Programmer.
Re: New forum [message #244724 is a reply to message #244718] Wed, 13 June 2007 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I like this. SQL Developer generates many questions on OTN forums, I think if we provide such a forum, questions will also come here.

In "Perl DBI / ODBC / JDBC", add "Oracle Object for OLE" (OO4O) and "OLE DB" for MS programmer.

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #244734 is a reply to message #244718] Thu, 14 June 2007 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
rleishman wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 05:37

I would have no problem with a new major group: SQL Client Tools with perhaps the following major groups:
- SQL*Plus / iSQL*Plus
- SQL Developer
- TOAD / SQL Navigator
- Other GUI clients (SQL Scratchpad [OEM], blah, blah)

If we're talking about new forums, any further thoughts on this old request? http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/70987/78693/ It would be nice to have a Perl DBI / ODBC / JDBC forum under Developer & Programmer.

Include PLSQL Developer (by allround automation) in the TOAD/SQL Navigator group

Include PHP somewhere in the Developer & Programmer chapter.
Re: New forum [message #244808 is a reply to message #244724] Thu, 14 June 2007 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 14:28
In "Perl DBI / ODBC / JDBC", add "Oracle Object for OLE" (OO4O) and "OLE DB" for MS programmer.

Regards
Michel

Would "Oracle Object for OLE" (OO4O) be better off grouped with "Precompilers and OCI" because it is an Oracle-specific interface rather than a database-agnostic interface (like Perl::DBI, ODBC, JDBC, and PHP". Is OLE DB in the same boat? I'm not familiar with it.
Re: New forum [message #244834 is a reply to message #244808] Thu, 14 June 2007 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I didn't use OLE DB but from OTN:
Quote:
OLE DB is a Microsoft data access standard accessed through ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), Visual C++, and any client that can use OLE DB. The goal of the Oracle Provider for OLE DB is to have a high performance and rich feature mechanism for data access to Oracle databases.

So it is much in the same category than ODBC.

I agree OO4O is Oracle specific and may be in better place with OCI, Pro*C and other Oracle products.

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #245004 is a reply to message #244834] Thu, 14 June 2007 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I concur. So where are we?

• SQL and PL/SQL
    • Newbies
    • SQL Experts
    • PL/SQL Experts
  • SQL Client Tools
    • SQL*Plus / iSQL*Plus
    • SQL Developer
    • TOAD / SQL Navigator / PL/SQL Developer
    • Other GUI clients (SQL Scratchpad [OEM], blah, blah)
  • Developer and Programmer
    • Precompilers, OCI, OCCI, and OO4O
    • Open Database Interfaces (Perl::DBI / PHP / ODBC / JDBC / OLD DB)
  • Non-English Language Forums
    • Available Forums: Arabic Dutch French German Japanese Portuguese Russian Spanish IM
Re: New forum [message #245009 is a reply to message #245004] Thu, 14 June 2007 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
IM Laughing That's a good idea!

This breakdown seems fine for me.
Maybe changing "SQL*Plus / iSQL*Plus" name to "SQL*Plus family" to prevent from forgetting any program (SQL*Plus worksheet) or furture Oracle SQL*Plus product.
Add DB Artisan in TOAD... forum. It is very used in Sybase world and is preferred by those who came from this world to Oracle one. I'd not put PL/SQL Developer in the same forum as I don't think it is the same type of tool although their functionalities overlap.

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #245013 is a reply to message #245009] Thu, 14 June 2007 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
What about a separate forum Homework assignments? (I am serious about this).
Would be a great place for people to post those, without being flamed. Also, it would be a nice place for other beginners to post answers.
After all, the intention of this thread was to clean up the Newbies forum?
Re: New forum [message #245014 is a reply to message #245009] Thu, 14 June 2007 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 15 June 2007 05:53
I'd not put PL/SQL Developer in the same forum as I don't think it is the same type of tool although their functionalities overlap.

We are talking about PLSQL Developer, not Oracles SQL Developer.
PLSQL Developer has exactly the same functionality as TOAD.
Re: New forum [message #245038 is a reply to message #245014] Fri, 15 June 2007 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
So, this will become OraFAQ Forum V3? Or is it just a new group (client tools)?

I wonder whether there's really a need to break up the SQL and PL/SQL forums into Newbies,SQL Experts and PL/SQL Experts. What are the criteria to label one question expert and another a newbie question?

BTW: shouldn't we announce this in the SQL part of the forum? Not everyone looks in suggestions and feedback.

MHE
Re: New forum [message #245055 is a reply to message #245014] Fri, 15 June 2007 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Frank,
Quote:
We are talking about PLSQL Developer

I refered to old Oracle PL/SQL Developer but maybe there is another one now that I don't know (my tools are only vi/notepad and SQL*Plus Wink ).

Maarten,
Quote:
Or is it just a new group (client tools)?

Just a new group.

Quote:
What are the criteria to label one question expert and another a newbie question?

My criteria are: an expert question is one that can't be answered with a quick read of documentation and little effort to try to apply the examples or the use of advanced/latest functionalities.

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #245068 is a reply to message #245055] Fri, 15 June 2007 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
There is a new Java interface on the PC from Oracle called SQL Developer. It is a TOAD look-alike.

David
Re: New forum [message #245092 is a reply to message #244734] Fri, 15 June 2007 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Frank wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 07:26
Include PLSQL Developer (by allround automation) in the TOAD/SQL Navigator group

Here you can check out what I mean.
Re: New forum [message #245127 is a reply to message #245092] Fri, 15 June 2007 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
OK, so no relation with Oracle's one which was center on PL/SQL.

Regards
Michel
Re: New forum [message #245197 is a reply to message #245127] Fri, 15 June 2007 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Great feedback. My suggestion would be to start with the following (we can always refine it later):

1) SQL Client Tools

Description: Tools used for executing SQL and PL/SQL commands like SQL*Plus, iSQL*Plus, SQL Developer and SQL Worksheet. Including 3rd party tools like TOAD, DB Artisan, SQL Navigator, PL/SQL Developer, etc.

• SQL and PL/SQL
    • SQL & PL/SQL Newbies
    • SQL Experts
    • PL/SQL Experts
    • SQL Client Tools

2) Open Database Interfaces

Description: Open Database programming interfaces like PHP, Perl::DBI, Ruby, ODBC, JDBC and SQLJ.

Note: OO4O & OLEDB is currently part of the Windows forum.

• Developer and Programmer
    • Precompilers, OCI, OCCI
    • Open Database Interfaces

Any comments, further suggestions?

Re: New forum [message #245229 is a reply to message #245197] Fri, 15 June 2007 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
New forums were created. I would appreciate if you guys can help moving relevant messages to the new forums.
Re: New forum [message #245421 is a reply to message #245229] Sat, 16 June 2007 23:42 Go to previous message
rleishman
Thanks Frank
Previous Topic: Server Administration Posting Guidelines
Next Topic: Lets make it a place to discuss
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:50:10 CDT 2024