Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » View memory information and need to increase SGA (OEM Cloud Control 13c)
View memory information and need to increase SGA [message #683706] Mon, 15 February 2021 06:56 Go to next message
Amf
Hi,

Am new here. Not sure if this question should be posted here.

Would like to know if OEM Cloud Control 13c has a graph or some kind of information that shows memory usage and the possible need to increase SGA in a clear and straightforward way.

That I know of, if using ASMM, all memory allocated to SGA is in use, distributed between the pools and caches by the Automatic Shared Memory manager. So, there is no sense in looking for free memory. To determine if SGA needs to be increased I should interpret AWR reports, cache hit ratios and use the advisors.

Thanks
Re: View memory information and need to increase SGA [message #683708 is a reply to message #683706] Mon, 15 February 2021 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

Quote:
To determine if SGA needs to be increased I should interpret AWR reports, cache hit ratios and use the advisors.
The AWR report does include the memory advisors. If you post one here, with your interpretation of them, we can have a look.

I wouldn't worry about cache hit ratios, they are a very twentieth century concept.
Re: View memory information and need to increase SGA [message #683713 is a reply to message #683706] Mon, 15 February 2021 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amf
Hi, John,

Will read what you suggested. Thanks.

About the AWR interpretation, that is not really the issue. I was really wanting to know if there would be something in the OEM pages that would give the same information as Advisors or the AWR reports in a more straightforward manner. I have been searching all around in OEM but all I found was the Advisors and the AWR reports.

Thanks
Re: View memory information and need to increase SGA [message #683715 is a reply to message #683713] Tue, 16 February 2021 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I cannot envisage anything more straightforward than the Advisors, as presented in a AWR report. When you look at them, always remember that you cannot tune an application just by following an Advisor. You have to begin by asking your users what problems they are facing in the application. For example, is a screen refresh too slow? Or a report taking too long? They will not be complaining that some memory allocations are inappropriate.
Re: View memory information and need to increase SGA [message #683740 is a reply to message #683715] Wed, 17 February 2021 08:19 Go to previous message
Amf
Hi, John,

Thanks again for you reply. Was really wanting to confirm my point of view and see if I was not missing something out in OEM. I was asked if there would be this information about memory in OEM in a graph or panel, that would pinpoint whatever issues there could ever be related to memory usage. But, all I knew of was what I look up in AWR and advisors.

Yes, environment tuning is not just a matter of applying whatever the Advisors say. Application analysis should be considered as one of the most important, if not the most important issue.

Previous Topic: Interpreting OEM information
Next Topic: need an agent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:53:42 CDT 2024