Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » New, advanced hierarchy
New, advanced hierarchy [message #323041] Tue, 27 May 2008 02:58 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm not quite sure whether to put this into the Community Hangout or Suggestions & Feedback forum, but OK - here it is; after all, it IS kind of a suggestion. Not that it matters much; Forum won't work better (or worse), but - as I have some time, let me express my thoughts.

Currently, we have three kinds of a status: Junior (<50 posts), Member (50 - 100 posts), Senior (> 100 posts). It is quite simple, no additional artificial intelligence deals with it.

Now, some people get confused. I've seen some newbies asking for help, thinking "oh, come on! You are a senior member, how come you don't know how to help me!". Also, I've seen some seniors saying "phew! You are a senior member, how can you ask something like that?"

It appears that number of messages isn't the very best way to distinguish newbies from more experienced users. Are these boundaries set too low? Newbies, for example, have zillion problems - most of their messages will be questions. It will take time until they are capable of answering other people's questions, and - at the same time - they might count a few hundreds of posts and still be ... well, newbies.

Therefore, I thought that we might modify this principle a little bit. I believe that distinguishing number of questions or answers is out of question; who's gonna do that? But, we might still rely on number of messages; only, include additional categories.

For example:
Number of messages    Status
------------------    ------------------
    0 -    20         baby
   20 -    50         toddler
   50 -   100         kindergarten child
  100 -   200         pupil
  200 -   500         student
  500 -  1000         bachelor
 1000 -  3000         assistant lecturer
 3000 -  5000         docent
 5000 - 10000         professor
10000 -               academician

Or
    0 -    50         novice
   50 -   100         junior
  100 -   500         apprentice
  500 -  2000         journeyman
 2000 -  7000         master
 7000 - 15000         boss
15000 -               Michel Cadot

Or even
    0 -    50         associate
   50 -   200         soldier
  200 -   500         capo
  500 -  2000         consigliere
 2000 -  5000         underboss
 5000 - 10000         boss
10000 - 30000         capo di tutti capi
30000 -               Tony Soprano

So? What say you? Would you like to add your own categories? Please, do that! Mine are more or less for amusement, not real use. Not because I wouldn't want to fine grain "members" category - I just lack in English language skills which would allow me to do that.
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323052 is a reply to message #323041] Tue, 27 May 2008 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
In Forum statistics you see other categories. Wink
In detailed statistics, there is also a breakdown statistics between 3 categories:
- only ask (never answer)
- only answer (never ask)
- ask and answer

Regards
Michel
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323070 is a reply to message #323052] Tue, 27 May 2008 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Cool! Very interesting!

However, how can you distinguish "only ask" and "never answer"? If someone opens a topic, that's probably a question. Other replies of the same person in the same topics may be answers, but questions as well. Also, what about hijacking other members' topics? It obviously isn't the very first message in this topic so ... ? I wonder, how accurate it is?
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323077 is a reply to message #323070] Tue, 27 May 2008 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
The "hierarchy" can easily be changed, but it must be based on post count. We can even assign default avatars to different ranks.
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323080 is a reply to message #323070] Tue, 27 May 2008 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Of course, these are appromative numbers.
I assume that all posts in a topic from someone that starts it are complement to the first question and so don't take them as answers.
Of course, I can't determine hijacking and in this case they are taken for answers to OP question.
Given the number of topics I read, I think it is rather accurate, at least as accurate as the country.

Regards
Michel
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323082 is a reply to message #323041] Tue, 27 May 2008 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Missing the Übercategory:

Larry

Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323580 is a reply to message #323082] Wed, 28 May 2008 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Any attempt to relate posting volmes to industry ability/experience is doomed. Such a system could only be supported by some sort of feedback mechanism (eg. post-level voting).

Response volumes only tell you something about the person's relative level of OraFAQ forum experience. In this way, Junior Member, Member, and Senior Member are accurate. They are poorly understood and sometimes mistaken for as analagous to industry expertise; that doesn't mean they are wrong.
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323703 is a reply to message #323041] Thu, 29 May 2008 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
hi
i think, it would be much better if forum can adopt the counts of replies offered for member status..

periodically moderator can evaluate the quality replies and
and offer bonus plus or minus marks for promotion / demotion
of member status too...

repeated replies offered ( refer forum guide etc) may be ignored for counting replies at the time of evaluation or awarding the points to the member's status

since genuine member status can gain confidence amoung real answer seekers.

i strongly feel that everyone will be a newbie on one or many topics since subject knowledge is compared with ocean.

yours
dr.s.raghunathan

Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323708 is a reply to message #323703] Thu, 29 May 2008 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Ok, read the last 10000 messages and give us your rate as a first example.

Regards
Michel
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323717 is a reply to message #323580] Thu, 29 May 2008 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
rleishman wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 05:43
Any attempt to relate posting volmes to industry ability/experience is doomed. Such a system could only be supported by some sort of feedback mechanism (eg. post-level voting).

Response volumes only tell you something about the person's relative level of OraFAQ forum experience. In this way, Junior Member, Member, and Senior Member are accurate. They are poorly understood and sometimes mistaken for as analagous to industry expertise; that doesn't mean they are wrong.

Unfortunately (for the sake of my original idea), I have to agree with that. Thinking twice about the whole thing, it appears that "member title/status" is, actually, needless.

As I've already said, Forum won't work any better (or worse) so - we could kick that information out. Obviously, we are all "members" of the OraFAQ Forum, aren't we? What difference does it make if I'm just a "Member", while a little bit of fast typing in the Community Hangout promotes me to a "Senior Member" in a matter of hours?

(However, I like my mafia-style rating /forum/fa/1986/0/)
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323732 is a reply to message #323717] Thu, 29 May 2008 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 12:43
Unfortunately (for the sake of my original idea), I have to agree with that. Thinking twice about the whole thing, it appears that "member title/status" is, actually, needless.

As I've already said, Forum won't work any better (or worse) so - we could kick that information out. Obviously, we are all "members" of the OraFAQ Forum, aren't we?

I agree with that, maybe it might be said that a member is a moderator as this means something different than a number of posts.

Regards
Michel
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323750 is a reply to message #323732] Thu, 29 May 2008 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Not true. Moderator is (up till now) only dependent on number of posts, not on behaviour or quality of posts.
Re: New, advanced hierarchy [message #323757 is a reply to message #323750] Thu, 29 May 2008 06:38 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is not what I meant.
I mean moderator status means "more" than a member in the sense can make more actions which may be useful for posters to know it, for example when they ask us to modify, move or delete their posts.

In addition, what you say is not true, you currently become moderator if 3 conditions are met (at least when I became one):
- you reach a number of posts
- you are asked by Frank if you want to be one. This means that Frank may don't ask you
- you answer you accept it (I remember Ana was not a moderator until last mid year, I think Ana felt in the category of not accepting it).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 29 May 2008 06:39]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Wiki migration
Next Topic: Can't turn PM off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:19:47 CDT 2024